road surfaces

Feels like a dumb question, but I don't want to make a mistake and don't
know the correct answer.  There's a gravel road that goes by my house that I
like to ride on - I can run on it without it hurting me, is it Ok for my 5
year old Arab to trot on (say, 3 minute intervals of walk/trot)?  We try to
stay in the little bit of loose gravel toward the side of the road.

Here's a pic. of the road surface.

http://www.redwrench.com/mischorse/JPG/JLeadingVBike.jpg

m (aka Michelle Rowe), CO
(usually mildly paranoid)