Since it seems that most of the replies were not posted to RC, let me
summarize a couple of things, then separately I will post a longish reply I
received from Gayle Eckers, for those of you who are interested.

#1 - It was Gayle who spoke about Perform N Win lytes at the AERC convention,
not Susan Garlinghouse, as I posted.  My error.

#2 - No disagreement from anyone that this was a low Ca problem

#3 - No one seemed to think the addition of loose salt to the diet had any
impact.

#4 - Lots of riders who don't feed alfalfa at home add it into the diet at
the ride, evidently w/o any problems

#5 - Probably the primary cause of my horse's problem was that I was using
the PNW inaccurately.   Altho I knew that the different lytes varied in
composition, I totally failed to take into account how wide that variation
was, and I was waaaay underdosing the PNW.   One "dose" should actually be
more like 3 or 4 scoops, as several of you pointed out.

KA Airborne seems none the worse for wear - getting a little sassy out on
pasture.  Thanks again to everyone who replied - I really appreciated it

pat farmer