Fwd: RC: Ride Meals, Entry Fees and LD BC

mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<<   Last year my daughter's horse
 pulsed down first (she was also 1st across the line but that is not
 recognized), I was 3rd to pulse down but I won BC. They didn't even
 announce the other placings even though they scored the first 6 (maybe ten)
 riders in.  She was kind of bummed.  I don' >>

I'm sorry but you keep talking about your horses "pulsing down 1st, 3rd etc"
That isn't the only criteria that is looked at I hope.  The vets are supposed
to look at the overall picture, not just the pulse.  Some horses will always
come down faster then others, it's in their genetic makeup, but this does not
mean they should get a BC, there are other factors involved.  I have a 20
year old mare that hasn't been ridden in over 3 years.  I could take her on a
25 mile ride (I won't) and she would "pulse down" to 48 in less than 10
minutes, this does not mean she is in condition, it is just in her genetic
background, something she has always done.   She would not deserve a BC as I
know she would not be able to "continue on" as per criteria for finishing, BC
etc.
I didn't mean to get on a "soapbox" but "pulsing down" should not be the only
thing looked at for BC.

---- Begin included message ----
Unfortunately, not recognizing 1st through 6th or 10th or whatever may
discourage some riders, especially juniors.  Last year my daughter's horse
pulsed down first (she was also 1st across the line but that is not
recognized), I was 3rd to pulse down but I won BC. They didn't even
announce the other placings even though they scored the first 6 (maybe ten)
riders in.  She was kind of bummed.  I don't blame her.  The competitive
riders in the 25 and 2 day 70 won gorgeous lawn chairs embroidered with
their award, etc.  I can't remember what the 50 milers won (something
equally as nice, I am sure).  Last ride, I pulsed down first, she pulsed
down 2nd, I won BC but she won 4th place in BC scoring...they gave ribbons
through 6th place at that ride.  This was encouraging to her. She was able
to see how her horse scored in the various categories and was able to
intelligently discuss with us why she thought her horse scored as he did
and what she can do to improve that score next time.  I think this is
important with everyone not just juniors but this experience really opened
my eyes to not only the value of LD rides but the value of BC scoring for
LD rides.  Newbies and juniors and "newbie horses" are the future of our
sport....I say, let's give them a boost.  I think in the long run, it's
worth the extra time to judge LD BC and maybe some extra ribbons to
recognize those who do well.  Per mile, it costs us more to do a 25 LD than
to do a 50.  But sometimes, it is necessary (young horse, new rider,
physically unable rider or whatever) and that doesn't mean we should be
shortchanged for making the choice or taking the opportunity to do 25
instead of 50.  "To finish is to win" and "the ride is the prize" are all
well and good sayings but going to these rides costs us more than just the
ride fees...to be practical, nice completion awards (don't have to be
expensive!), fun, announcement of placings and scores (I WANT to know the
scores, endurance AND competitive), fun, some nice ribbons (again, don't
have to be expensive!), good organization, well marked trails and FUN
trails, helpful ride managers and some good food (potluck or whatever) are
what will keep folks coming BACK to your ride!!   Did I mention FUN?  :)
Let's face it...isn't winning a ribbon or placing well FUN?  Sure it is.
We can't always but it's fun when
we do!  And that's what it's supposed to be about anyway no matter what the
distance.  When I quit having fun riding endurance (any distance) is when I
quit going to rides....yeah, right!  Fat chance!!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske
mmieske@netonecom.net

----------
> From: RhndLev@cs.com
> To: Endure4fun@aol.com; ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:   Fwd: RC:  Ride Meals, Entry Fees and LD BC
> Date: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 11:39 AM
>
> In a message dated 6/6/00 10:58:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
> Endure4fun@aol.com writes:
>
> << NO BC for LD.  It is supposed to be a TRAINING & LEARNING ride, NOT a
> RACE.  >>
>
> But wouldn't a BC for LD REWARD the person who was NOT racing, but rather
was
> riding the horse well within the limits of its conditioning?  Why not
reward
> the person who conditioned and paced their horse well even though the
ride
> was not for a full 50 miles?  I think there should ONLY be a BC award in
LD

---- End included message ----