Re: RC: Ice water

I know many things have changed since I first
began working with horses, but when I was taught
how to 'ice' legs we were told never leave the ice
on longer than 10 minutes.......doing so can
result in permanent tissue damage. So we used a
rotation - 10 minutes of cold water/ice, then 5 or
10 off.....up to an hour at a time like that.

It really makes me wonder when I hear of some
individuals wrapping and leaving wraps on for
45min - hour or for their entire drive home over a
period of several hours. Are these people
incredibly lucky or was I schooled by a worry
wort? I know we have Vets and Nurses on this list
- is there a valid concern of tissue damage?

Curious and wondering - always seeking CORRECT
information!!
Susan