Re: RC: Fw: Fwd: and LD BC

Lif,
The problem is, unless you judge condition by something other than the AERC
sheet a big chunk of points comes for being the first to finish (200
points). And the other riders are penalized time points for how far behind
the first place they are, so the incentive is to finish as far in front as
possible. And, unless the horses aren't sound at the finish, they usually
get decent vet scores,too. After all, they're only going 25 miles, and
passed a vet check about half way through. If the vets did their job at the
check, they won't deteriorate much in that last 8-12 miles. Horses can be
conditioned to do those 25's pretty darn fast & still look good.
I agree LD should be considered for training. But is it fair to say LD'ers
shouldn't try for 2 hour 25's when everyone ooh's & aah's over 8 hour
100's?? (Which is 4 25 mile rides!)
True, that isn't how I would choose to train one, but as a group we send
pretty mixed signals for beginners.
OCER used to place LD horses by the BC sheet & time of finish usually
determined the winner. We now place the horses according to when they reach
criteria. I haven't seen any difference in the overall conditioning or care
the rider's take of their horses, or average ride times over the same
courses.
Nancy Mitts