Endurance Mama

Melissa Carlson/Joylen Carlson ridem100@aol.com
This a poem my daughter Melissa wrote on Sunday morning after Longstreets Charge for all the "endurance mamas" out there:

Endurance Mama

The day she did her first ride
Was the day she went insane
We wanted a normal mama
But our wishes were all in vain
She had started endurance
And things would never be the same

Once upon a time, long, long ago
She was a mama who cooked carrot cake and sewed
But then she got a horse for no good reason
And all of our future plans were around the ride season

It started out harmless enough but soon she was hooked
When she yelled out orders to her crew some swore the ground shook
With every single ride she became more addicted
With some fear, but a lot of love we knew she was afflicted

Every single ride she was filled with stress and worry,
"Don't go too fast, but you better hurry!"
Everyone loves endurance mama, even though she's crazy
When you're around her, you better not be lazy

Melissa Carlson 6/4/2000