RC: Re: alone?

Sarah McIntosh wrote:
>  She started backing up towards the barn and then I thought, fine if
she
wants to move backwards, she can go backwards, but in the direction I
want
to go.  We started backing down the driveway.  went a short ways, i let
her
think for  a minute and then i turned her forwards, and offered her to
walk
up the driveway.  we repeated the back up the driveway, turn forward ask
for
forward movement aobut 5 times before she agreed with me that it was
better
to walk up the driveway than back up the driveway.

OK, so can anyone tell me what to do with an increasingly fit youngster
(read: can back up a very long way before deciding that forward is
better) upon whom this tactic has been used? My too smart little mare
had this game all figured out after the first two times I used this
trick and now is all too happy to go backwards when she won't go
forwards. I suppose since we end up doing such short distances, she
actually ends up strengthening and suppling herself more this way, but
my neck hurts! I need a new way to outsmart her!

(BTW, when she has a ride buddy, she goes forward happily so I know it
has more to do with obstinance and thinking it's better to approach
scaries butt first. This horse is not barn sour in the least.)

Deanna (Ohio)
and Salina (I thought you were thrilled about how strong I'm getting.)