Re: Looking for advice from you...

>Kim kdekany@custom-edge.com
>What are your thoughts on conditioning an 11yr old that is currently out
of shape for endurance? Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts?
Thank You.

The horse I'm riding right now is 13...I pulled him out of the pasture at
11 and he looked like a sway-backed pregnant mare.  He was so fat I could
hardly get my legs around him...and he had no muscle to speak of.  All he
had done was be a bossy pasture potato and it showed.

He may never be a top tenner -- not because I wasn't able to get him in
condition for it...his strides are a bit too short and, even at 15h., his
legs are shorter than on Cabby (who's 14.2+) and Billy (who's 14.3)!!  To
look at Blaze now, you would never believe it's the same horse.  He's
getting very muscley...even looks taller...and his strides are getting
better (not because anything happened with his leg length, but he has more
"forward moving" muscles and can power better from behind, getting more
lift with his strides.  We are also doing a stretching program (Yoga for
Horses <g>) which has helped quite a bit.  The conditioning program has
been slow but fairly regular.  He's been a real Toad at times since he had
been well established as herd boss (big fish in little pond) and was now
having to face the cold, cruel world.  He was not nearly as brave when he
got away from his home! ;-)  Two years into this now and he's getting very
brave, prefers to lead, and even can go off on his own without having his
herd.  (I guess it's me now...at least in those situations. <g>)

I read some stats about the importance of conditioning a horse during his
early years (4-9) to get optimum condition...and that may very well be
true.  I know that Blaze is probably never going to be a star (except in
personality and cuteness ;-)) but he will be an awesome lower distance
teacher.  His primary job is as a schooling horse at home and he will do a
splendid job for a long time -- he will more than likely be a primary
instructor for future students to learn about endurance (or at least LD.)
He is limited by his conformation...not his age.  And who knows -- he's
come a long way so he may surprise me yet!

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.