Fwd: RC: Ride Meals, Entry Fees and LD BC

In a message dated 6/5/00 11:29:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, lynne@glazer.org
writes:

<<
 All righty, it's survey time!  Three subjects, first about the awards
banquet.

I.  Yes on the option of meals.  If you order one, you should get one good
meal, not leftovers.  If you don't order one bring something or go without.
Those $10. food fees could go to gas for trip. (can you tell I own a gas hog)

2. LD fees.  Yes, same price, as you said we get the same benefits, i.e.
vets, same awards (on some rides) extra help, same amount of work for RM.

3.NO BC for LD.  It is supposed to be a TRAINING & LEARNING ride, NOT a RACE.
 If you want to race do a 50 or more.  Think about it, why did you enter the
LD in the first place, hopefully to learn and train and NOT to see how FAST
you can RACE your horse!!!!  Actually if everyone thinks about it, this whole
endurance concept was called a "ENDURANCE RIDE" where did race come in?  LD
should be as it was meant to be, a chance for riders to see if they like the
sport, to see how horse is doing etc.  RM don't have to offer LD.  If you
want more "frills" do the longer "ride"

Keri

---- Begin included message ----
I'm not in a bad mood either, Nancy and Phil.  Of course, my ride is
still 3 months away.  ;-)

All righty, it's survey time!  Three subjects, first about the awards banquet.

The past two years, my ride has had an excellent catered BBQ, where
the entry included the meal.

My intent this year is to offer the meal by election only.  For the
vegetarians, we'll have veggie lasagna (all by the same caterer) like
we did the first year, by pre-selection.  Sorry for last year's
accidental omission.

I'm interested in hearing particularly from those who have done this
PS ride, or plan to do it this year--how welcome is this choice?
That means no honor system, a fine volunteer will sit there and
collect meal tickets.  Last year we fed 228 meals, FWIW.

As a rider, I like knowing that a full meal is provided, one less
thing to plan for, and I like replenishing those calories.  Potlucks
are *great*, but less practical on larger rides (120+, like NRR is).
I guess I'm just not willing to get more into food service myself.

I know that many folks do these rides on a shoestring, and a $10
reduction in entry fee would make a difference.  Feedback in public
or private, your choice.

Subject #2--perhaps a bit more controversial:

The difference between the entry fee for LD and for a 50 miler.

I did an informal survey of the PNER ride booklet, and noticed that
most rides varied the cost by $20.  I think that's pretty much true
in PS, except for the Lakeside Classic and EHSC.

I've been thinking a lot about this.  I give the same completion
awards for LD as for 50, have the same amount of vets based on total
riders, not on breakdown between distances.  Same number of
volunteers to work, and feed.  Same basecamp costs, number of
potties, insurance...

As far as I can tell, the only difference expense-wise is that the
50s get top ten and weight division awards--that's 15 total "serious"
awards, plus first and BC.  We give BCs to 5 places on the LDs, and
an entry to next year's 50 for the rider that finishes first (the
"Hot Shoes" award).  Price-wise, the difference per rider doesn't
compute.

So why should there be a difference in the entry fee, per distance?
Civil opinions only, please.

--#3
Lastly, I really have my panties in a twist over this LD BC thing.
Do you all know about it? New roolz by the Board effective right now
in fact.

As a ride manager, if I don't use the endurance BC worksheet,
completely, with *time and weight factors*, the horse and rider who
get 1st BC *won't be eligible for year end points competition*, or be
listed in EN.

I understand that increasing the representation of LD in year end
awards is important, but to essentially force ride managers to reward
SPEED?  Those who finish in the top ten ONLY are eligible for
consideration for BC, just like the 50s and up!  Them's the rules
now--and I am aghast that we would take away the emphasis on LD as a
training distance, not a race.  Anybody else feel this way, besides
my buddy Pam Haynes of the Purple Passion ride up in Idaho?

Years of inculcation down the drain.  Now we're gonna reward the
horses who are raced 25 or 30 or 35 miles, and certify them and only
them as eligible for "best condition".

I know it isn't easy to come up with any kind of method that can be
standardized across the LD landscape, but I hope there's another way
that doesn't *require* speed.  Vet score portion of the BC worksheet,
ok.  Even the weight points are ok.

Sorry, probably yanked my chain harder than anything but the rider of
the underage horse who did my ride, was DQ'd right there on the spot,
and did another ride while still under age.  We're still waiting,
nearly six months now, for some action on that one by the P&G
committee.

Ahhhh, ride management.  I volunteered for this, right, Julie?  And
this year, the opportunity to try again to break even.  ;-)  Couldn't
imagine a better group of riders to do it with than we have down
here, though I want to get to one of Nina's LIT soirees in the SE one
of these years.

Lynne
all chains duly yanked

Norco Riverdance Ride 9/2/00, PS