stable management

Susan pynevalley@mindspring.com
Hi there.  I know this is not specifically about endurance
riding, but yours is the best chat line I know of for horses.
My husband and I recently sold our business at a good price and
are looking into another business as we are not yet retirement age.  I was not looking for a horse business, but suprisingly, two have come available.  One is a top of the line boarding, breeding facility with indoor riding arena,outdoor arena regulation size with P.A. system for shows and a dressage arena.  A nice home comes with it.  My concern is:  the present owner has only been there two years and didn't operate at full capacity even though the area is populated enough to support it and they are located next two a very prominent college with a riding program (overflow boarders and potential work co-op employees).  I have owned and maintained my own horses for years and understand the costs, risks and labor involved.  I am looking for anyone's experience with the downside of a public stable and suggestions on how to assess the area for potential customers.  Second location is much more rustic (but more my style as I do endurance ride)attached to a National Forest with over 200 miles of trails.  It is more a campground for horse owners who wish to use the trails.  15 horses & mules will convey with the sale and are used for guided trails and rentals.  There is no home on this property although they say a 3 room cabin can be used as the home.  The income produced here is much more attractive.  But the area is remote and the cabin may not be suitable.  Any and all comments about your experience or knowledge are welcome.