Re: RC: Farrier question.....

Let me start by saying that not taking heel is part of your problem.If the
horn tubules are bent in the forward direction thats the way they will grow.I
would rasp the heels back to the widest point of the frog or atleast to the
point where they are growing downward.I would agree you need to move the
breakover back by shortening the toe.You need to find the true center of the
horses foot by finding the coffin joint which is usually about a 1/4 to 1/2
inch back from the point of the frog.I sometimes even will mark this with a
marker.What the goal is try to get the foot 50% in front of mark and 50%
behind.This may involve squareing the toes.If your horse is that thin sole I
would not recomend rockering the toe.Now because you movedthe heelsback you
may need use a wedgepad to regain the proper angle.Pads can be hard to keep
on sometimes just be sure the nails are blocked good and you should not have
any problems with them at all.Also when you move the toe back do not dress
the foot back to the shoe thinning the wall out.Just roll the foot back into
the shoe.This can also be through the quaters also this will insure that your
not wall driving and it will thicken up the walls considerablely.Hope this
helps ! As always just my two cents worth ! RD