Re: Re: Anaerobic HR Readings

Exactly, whenever my HRM hits a weird number (like 225) and stays there no
matter what gait we're going at or starts jumping back and forth between a
high number and a low number, I know that something is wrong.  Generally a
quick check reveals that the electrode has moved, is loose or come
unattached.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske
mmieske@netonecom.net

----------
> From: Becky Huffman <TOS@htcomp.net>
> To: saddlesoar@yahoo.com; ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:  Re: Anaerobic HR Readings
> Date: Saturday, June 03, 2000 7:45 PM
>
> > Cecily Westervelt saddlesoar@yahoo.com
> > I gave him 4 days off then started riding again. The HR's have  >
gotten
> worse.  As soon as we pick up a trot he hits 170+ but  > drops to 60s
when
> we walk.  I put my monitor on another
> > horse/rider combo one week ago.  On that mare the readings > make
sense.

> The first thing I would check would be the connection at the girth.  It
> sounds like, as he has fitted up, his body has changed enough that you
are
> only picking up every other beat at the trot, just a guess, but that is
the
> same type of reading you would get if one of the electrodes were
misplaced
> or detached.  I have seen horses lose weight on a conditioning schedule,
and
> if they do that as they gain muscle mass and strength, you get a real
flat
> spot behind the armpit. It doesn't take much of a loss to get that
contact
> to miss enough beats to throw your reading off., similar to what you are
> seeing.
>
> Barring that, I wouldn't totally disregard the monitor since it seems to
> work fine at the walk, sometimes at the trot, and on the other horse.
Our