From: guest@endurance.net [mailto:guest@endurance.net]
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2000 3:45 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Anaerobic HR Readings

Cecily Westervelt saddlesoar@yahoo.com
Help, I need advice from the many voices of experience
here on ridecamp. I'm a newbie who is having concerns over
my horse's heart rates.

Banner is a 10 year old gelding who has  been in training
for 3 months. I train 3-4 times a week. The readings I was
getting from my V-Max monitor showed that he was getting fitter.
Unfortunatly, I too often ride with partner who doesn't want to
go so fast, but I know Banner had no trouble trotting about 6mph
for 6-8 miles at around a 110- 150 range.

Around May 10th the numbers began to concern me. After an
hour and a half, his heart rate would go to 180. If I slowed down
to a walk, he'd recover to 60s almost immediately.  If
I picked up the trot again, even after 1/2 hour walking,
he'd hit 180+ right away. Banner showed absolutely no signs of
fatigue, pain, unwillingness, loss of thirst or appetite, or
fever. I talked to a number of CTR riders who believed, because
the recoveries were good, he was probably okay.

I took Banner in a 25 mile CTR on the 20th.  He started the ride
with the high rates.  I hoped that it was nerves.  We rode the
first 12 miles in around 2 hours.  His rate at a trot was never
under 170.  I got into the lunch break and let him nibble some
grass and washed him down.  In 10 minutes, checked by
stethescope, his HR was 36.  I stayed in lunch longer because a
friend showed up and I was only doing the ride to train. I let
Banner eat a good sized ration of beet pulp, grain and
eletrolytes. When we went back out onto the trail he was a
covering ground like I'd never felt him do before.
If I'd let him, I know he would have done 12 mph. He felt great
and his HR stayed around 120-130.

I gave him 4 days off then started riding again. The HR's have
gotten worse.  As soon as we pick up a trot he hits 170+ but
drops to 60s when we walk.  I put my monitor on another
horse/rider combo one week ago.  On that mare the readings
make sense.

2 days ago Banner went out at a walk and the readings stayed at
200+.  I cursed the fact that my stethescope was at home.
I found a small sliver of plastic on Banner's back in the
monitor area when I unsaddled him.

No, I don't wear my monitor and wristwatch on the same arm.
I even stopped wearing the wristwatch.  My slow going friend
is happy with the recent slow down but I'm not. What could be
causing this with Banner or the monitor? What means of checking
can anyone recommend.

Cecily