Re: RC: Bad Backs/Chronic Pain (Riders with...)

I had two herniated cervical disks in 96.  Fell on my head too many times I
guess.  Had two surgeries to fix them in 97 (the 1st doc thought he knew
better than I did, only fixed the "bad" one, which apparently didn't bother
me much)  I have C5-6 fused and still have some osteoarthritis in neck, hips,
knees, feet and hands.  The best thing for the pain is getting on my horse,
and riding STRAIGHT.  BUT I also take glucosamine and MSM and a new
prescription anti inflammatory called Celebrex.  It is a cox 2 inhibitor, and
doesn't cause stomach problems like ibuprofen.  I also stretch every morning
in the shower, and any other time I feel stiff or sore.  Last year I had a
bad bout of inflammatory arthritis, which is how I got started on the
Celebrex.  I keep my weight at a reasonably level, and love to shovel manure,
buck hay and do other strength training.  I also found a video, Symmetry in
Motion-Myofascial Release, that helped me get straighter.  I'm 48, and I
think I get healthier every year.  I refuse to let pain stop me from doing
the things I love, and that alone makes me feel like I am in control, not the
pain.  Find things that work for you, and don't ever quit!  good luck, jeri