Re: RC: ouchies and electrolytes

In a message dated 5/30/00 4:44:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Dakoiah@aol.com
writes:

<< Just a couple of questions for you more experienced people out there.  The
 first one is about cuts, stitches, and locations.  Alpine cut his leg on a
 brick tonight, not bad, but would benefit from a couple of stitches.
 However, is it wise to stitch a horse on the outside of the leg, right at
the
 top of the knee?  It's not on the front where the skin is always moving, but
 on the outside of the right front leg.  I can stitch him myself, but Alpine
 is my first horse, and I'm just not sure if that's a wise place to put
 stitches. >>

Suturing is a basically simple skill that almost anyone can master.  Knowing
when to suture, whether the wound should be debrided, potential risk of
damage to underlying structures and what other treatment is indicated, etc.
is why folks spend a long time in vet school.   Just MHO, but unless I was
too far away for a vet to be handy, I'd rather pay one than take a risk with
my horse pals.   And tho I can't be sure of the exact location of the cut
from your post, if my horse even gets a PINHOLE near a joint, I'm going to be
very conservative about getting treatment and an opinion on abx.

pat farmer