Re: sarcoids and thank you

>Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about sarcoids.  I have
>talked to one vet and intend to talk to another soon.  Most people say
>to just keep an eye on it and don't treat it unless it becomes a
>problem.  I now feel that it is not a serious problem, just something I
>want to monitor closely.  Thanks again to everyone, Kathy

Blaze has a small one on his chest, right behind the breast collar area.  I
have a fuzzy on the breast collar so that it doesn't get irritated and it's
okay, so far...about the size of a pencil eraser.  The vet at the Fish
Folly ride said to give him some oil...the name escapes me (linseed?) but
it's the one that you can buy as a "meal" or an oil.  He said give the oil
(and yes, I know I should have written this down since I should give it a
try)...1/4 c./ day...and it should shrink the wart a fair amount.
(Heidi...help me out here! ;-))

I had an Arab mare that had to have a sarcoid surgically removed.  It
showed up about 6 months before we had the cement poured in the barn and we
decided to wait and keep an eye on it until after that time.  We didn't
want to have it removed until after we had dry, clean footing that we could
keep her on.  When spring arrived, the sarcoma grew a bit faster and
reached the size of a small orange...at which point we had it removed.
They injected an anti-viral med (it was 15 years ago so my med. memory is a
bit fuzzy...ohhell...I can't remember what the vet said and that was last
month!! ;-))  It never recurred (the sarcoid, that is.  The memory keeps
occasionally appearing. <g>)

Sue (who should be studying for the ACLS exams this weekend instead of
reading Ridecamp...priorities. ;-))

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.