A Story Worth Telling

It was a week ago this past Sunday at about 6PM and we were having the worst
storm of the season.  I got a call from Abbie Saunders, Ride Mgr. of The
Leatherwood Mountain Challenge.  I could tell she was somewhat concerned as
she told me that she and Debbie (I will withhold the last name until I get
her permission) were out conditioning their horses and that Debbie's horse,
Tyrone, had spooked when Debbie had tried to sponge him and Debbie
bailed/fell off and Tyrone bolted at a full gallop back the way they had
come.  She said she had tracked him as far as she could but it was raining so
hard the tracks just disappeared.  I told her I would meet her where she lost
the tracks in 10 to 15 minutes. I was in my Jeep Wrangler and decided to cut
across a ridge know as the Daniel Boone Trail (about 2 miles long).  Bad
decision.  The storm was so bad it had blown trees down across the trail and
the mud was deeper than I had ever seen it in this part of Leatherwood.
Finally I made it through and we started trying to track with no luck.  Now
remember that Abbie and Debbie had walked and backtracked 6 miles in pouring
down rain and lightening to the rental barns.  Both were soaking wet and
Debbie had blisters that were hurting her so bad that she was afraid to take
her boots off in fear that she would not get them back on.

I had ridden with Debbie and Abbie two weeks before and Tyrone was new to
endurance and trails, fresh out of the dressage ring.  She had only had him
for two weeks.  Nice looking horse but real hyper.  Debbie herself is also
new to endurance and both were learning together.  I was on my horse Romeo
and was blocking Tyrone for most of the ride because he was trying to run to
the front out of control so he got a good taste of Romeo's rear end.  He
finally settled down and Debbie was extremely pleased with his first time
out.

Back to the story, no luck with any tracks and the fog was setting in.  Now
for those of you that have ridden The Leatherwood Mountain Challenge you know
that the terrain is very dangerous in the daylight and with no light it is
suicide.  I bailed out at about 9PM and Abbie and Debbie stayed out until
about 9:45.  The next morning I called Joan (former wife but we are still
great friends) and also Mark Williams, our barn manager. They would meet us
later that morning. It had poured all night but we woke up to a clear crisp
day.  I was on my four wheeler at 6:30AM and along with Abbie, Debbie and the
general manager of Leatherwood, we started looking.  We went down every trail
we knew in Leatherwood and not a sign.  I mean not a sign of anything!!  The
only tracks we saw were deer and turkey.  At about 10:30AM I was heading back
for gas and met Mark coming down the trail on my horse, Romeo.  Mark probably
knows the area where Tyrone disappeared better than anyone.  He and Joan
condition in that area all the time.  He said he had an idea where the horse
may head for but it was a 25 mile trip through rugged terrain.  It's why he
picked Romeo because he was built for this type of riding.  Romeo is a Rocky
Mountain Horse and very powerful in the rear end.

After refueling I headed back out and went down and found trails that we did
not know existed in Leatherwood.  Still nothing.  At 7PM I had to go back and
refuel and was heading back out and met my sister-in-law and another friend
that lives at Leatherwood and Mark.  He and Romeo looked like they had been
ridden hard and put up wet.  My sister-in-law and our friend had picked up
Mark's and Romeo's trail and thought they were tracking Tyrone.  Still
nothing.  We stayed out until dark and called more people to look the next
day, Tuesday.  By this time Debbie is a basket case and she called me at 7:15
Tuesday morning. She had just gotten off the phone with a physic and was told
that Tyrone was fine but very lost and about 15 miles from where he bolted.
She described where Tyrone was and Debbie was very excited.  She then called
Mark and he told her of a place that sounded like what the physic had
described.  It was just past where Mark had taken Romeo on Monday.  That
morning, Tuesday, we had about 20 people out looking and again nothing.  Of
course by now most people were on horse back and there were tracks
everywhere.  Debbie had gone to the place where Mark had told her about and
said she could pick Tyrone's tracks out and said she thought she had found
some but still no luck.  Again we were out all day and most of the night.  On
Wednesday Debbie brought in a professional tracker but the dogs could not get
a scent.  Mark had gone to the area where Deb said she saw the tracks and did
find a set of tracks other than Romeo's.  By now everyone was exhausted and
starting to think that Tyrone was hung up in a thicket.  He was fully tacked
with biothane gear, saddle, a running martingale, waterbottles, heart
monitor, and a 12ft lead rope attached because he had ran away the week
earlier at another ride area and was gone for two hours before they found
him.

Thursday we went into the thickets on foot and up and down cliffs (now
remember this is 5,000 plus acres).  Nothing, nothing ,nothing!!!!   Friday,
after 2 more physics, another tracker, fliers to every radio station in the
area, newspapers, post offices, all law enforcement offices, Debbie was at
rock bottom.  I have to say I have never seen someone put so much energy and
emotion into something as she did this. The weekend at Leatherwood was fully
booked for Memorial Day Weekend and there were about 60 riders that would be
out on the trails.  All were given information about this situation.  On
Sunday our worst fears were starting to become a reality. Joan and Mark were
riding the area where Tyrone had disappeared and saw the buzzards circling.
They rode to the area but could not find anything.  The brush was extremely
dense with deep drop offs.  Monday, Memorial Day, we found nothing again.

Debbie called Monday night and said she had a helicopter on standby for
Tuesday morning and asked my opinion of this.  I told her the foliage was
just to thick and she would be better off putting the money in a reward and
more fliers and start a door to door search beginning today, Tuesday.  She
said other friends had told her the same thing.  I mean 9 days and nothing.
In this heat and humidity and with some of the worst storms we've had in 5
years.  I said Deb, it's time to start thinking about the worst.  She was
crying and it about broke my heart.

Well, guess what!!!  This morning at about 9:30AM this damn horse popped out
of the woods at a dead gallop with two of our neighbors dogs chasing him!!
Mark had just left our barn because he had forgotten his daily medicine and
had just pulled out of our barn driveway and here comes this horse flying
down the road.  Mark's first thought was that someone else had been dumped
and lost their horse.  He said he could not believe his eyes and in fact
rubbed them twice to focus on this horse.  He stopped the car and stepped out
and yes, Tyrone stopped about fifty yards from him and started toward him
very cautiously.  Now Mark is one of the best horse people I have ever seen
and is considered one of the best horse "connectors" (he hates the term
horsewhisper) in the area.  As the horse approached him he said he turned
toward our barn and started walking away from Tyrone.  Tyrone fell right in
stride with Mark and after about a hundred yards and time given for the horse
to regain his wits after being chased by dogs, Mark reached out and took the
lead line and walked him right into our barn.  In fact Mark said the horse
was leading him to our barn.  With the exception of one saddle sore (about
the size of a silver dollar) and 125 to 150lbs lighter, this horse did not
have a scratch on him and was bright eyed.  He was fully tacked just as he
was when he took off and yes Roger, the heart monitor was still in place and
working.  The saddle was moldy from all the rain but everything else was
fine!!  Of course the reunion between Tyrone and Debbie was a tear jerker.  I
had to walk out of the barn.

NOW, the question is where has this horse been for 9 days?  We do have one
theory and it's only a theory.  Remember me telling about blocking Tyrone
with Romeo three weeks earlier.  Is it possible for this horse to have been
lost in the woods for a couple of days and then found Mark and Romeo's trail
and tracked it all the way out to where Debbie thought she recognized his
tracks and then took five days to travel the 20 miles back to our barn?  And
by the way, where Debbie saw his tracks is within a mile of the place the
first physic had described where Tyrone was.

All I can say is that a lot of prayers were answered and this is one tough
little horse!!
Hope I didn't bore you with this story and I'm not a writer like Angie and
other writers on ridecamp but I had to tell it to people who know and love
horses like we all do.
BTW, guess who is sleeping on a cot outside of horse stall tonight!!!

Phil Rash
Spirit of the Mountain Farms