Re: RC: Wildwood Stables at Acadia National Park

In a message dated 05/30/2000 6:22:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< The version of the story coming from the other side
 is that Mr. Winterberg screwed up *big time* with the
 legal aspects of which legal entity actually held the
 carriage and overnight camping concession at Acadia and
 that the Park Service got caught holding a very ugly
 liability bag and has good grounds to remove Mr. Winterberg
 as concessionaire.   >>

Someone told me once that the trend toward lawsuits for every real and
imagined injury (and other reasons) was going to be the destruction of our
society.  I can see this happening before my eyes.  No one wants to take
responsibility for himself or his safety, no one wants to accept fate as
having a hand in accidents, everyone wants to find someone to blame for his
injury or disatisfaction with the way things are going for him, the legal
faction in this country is more than happy to assist in settling things, and
money is a very big factor in all of this.  I can see the necessity for one
party settling the medical bills for the injured party, particularly if the
injured party cannot afford them.  But there are SO many frivolous lawsuits
over "emotional trauma", etc. it's enough to make you sick.  I almost laughed
one day when I thought of our pioneer forebears risking their lives and their
families' lives to come to America and later, the west, and pictured a
scenario of their requiring a written guarantee that nothing was going to
happen to them along the way, and if it did, they would sue for personal
injury, personal loss, and emotional trauma.

Whether or not this is relative to the Wildwood Stables issue, I have no
idea, but it just sparked one of my pet peeves.

Barbara