Re: Electrolyte Comparison

I am sure that if horses can metabolize their selenium at varying rates,
they probably metabolize lytes differently as well.  Where one dose might
suffice for one horse, another may take a triple dose?  Sound logical?  I
would like to know how many people make up their own lytes and how well
they feel they work for them (yep, gave up on the cookies!!!  Won't eat
them on rides!).

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske
mmieske@netonecom.net

----------
> From: DreamWeaver <karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us>
> To: Onefarmgirl@aol.com; mountss@usfca.edu
> Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:    Electrolyte Comparison
> Date: Monday, May 29, 2000 4:25 PM
>
> At 09:48 AM 05/29/2000 -0400, Onefarmgirl@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Absolutely.   Plus, might we develop a highly unscientific data base
over
> >time by noting total volume of elytes given, mileage, ambient
temp/humidity,
> >and outcome?
>
> Hi Pat:  There are so many variables that this would probably be a near
> impossible task.  The only real way to know what is going on is to have
> blood drawn and do an on-site analysis.  I think that weighing the horses

> is also vital, since the point of using electrolytes is to keep a horse
> hydrated (and therefore, not dropping huge amounts of weight due to fluid

> loss).  Otherwise I don't think anybody can really know how well or not
> their electrolytes are working.
>
> I have started putting data from my Pride Project testing into a
> spreadsheet.  Maybe I could put the onsite bloodwork from a ride or two
> showing electrolytes.  Course this may or may not be helpful to people
who
> are using a different kind of electrolyte than I use, or manage their
> horses differently, or ride differently....<bg> (see, lots of
> variables!)   I think somebody could use the same protocol as I do, but
if
> their horse isn't drinking well the results would be totally
> different......I don't think it is wise to try and copy what somebody
else
> does (we all have to figure it out for ourselves).  Helpful, aren't I?
:+)