Love My Horse

Colleen K. polairs210@hotmail.com
I have to say Endurance is a fun sport but its even better
when you get to ride your best friend.
I consider my horse to be one of my best friends.
We have a very close bond for a horse and rider and now when
I take him on  rides I can tell when he is telling me that he
is in desress.
 Last year we did a 50 mile up in Reno but I could tell something was wrong from the start.When we got to the first
water stop he did'nt want to drink and seemed very tired so I got of and walked him the rest of the way to the vet check. When we got to the vet check he drank 2 buckets of water and ate some hay.The vet siad he was  tired. So I rode him slowley back to base camp for the one hour hold.
By the time we got back to bace camp he was so tired he would
not even trot if I asked him to.So the vet looked him over and
siad he was  deydrated and asked me if I wanted to go on or not I  tolled him no I did'nt want to push my friend any longer today so I pulled out. My friends where suprised that I would do that. I tolled them hey there will be other rides but
there is only one Polaris. So the next time you are at a ride with your horse remember think of your friend before an award.
There are some people in this sport that push there horses
intirerley to hard, horses will run out of energy before they
will run out of heart.
Just food for thought.
Colleen K.