Re: Epithitis?

Jo, sorry your friend is having DOD problems.  Usually, overnutrition is a
big factor in DOD---too much energy and growth of body mass without
accompanying increase in bone mass and density, but that doesn't seem to be
the case here.  The root problem is almost always a mineral imbalance, and
that might be your problem here.  There's a chance that the grass hay is
deficient/imbalanced in one mineral or another and the relatively small
amount of LMF she was provided was not enough to correct the problem.

I have a few suggestions that might help pinpoint the problem; first, get an
analysis of the grass hay to find out exactly what the mineral profile is.
It'll cost you about $35, less than a vet call.  Contact the nutritionist at
OSU to take a look at it and recommend changes---it might be somebody in the
Animal Science department, not necessarily through the vet school.  DON'T
just start adding mineral supplements willy-nilly before you pinpoint the
problem---doing so almost always makes the problems worse rather than
better.  Also, call around and see if you can find a feed store that carries
a product called Yea-Sacc.  GrandVite has it in a general vit/min
supplement, but for now, you don't want that, you just want straight
Yea-Sacc.  It's a particular strain of yeast culture that had some fairly
decent research in young DOD horses that demonstrated an increase in
phosphorus utilization and decrease in DOD lesions.  They don't really
market it for horses, it's mostly used in dairy cattle and swine, so ask the
feed stores that cater to livestock.  It won't affect anything else, just
increases some of the mineral absorption.

Finally, make sure the problem isn't one of too much concussion and
exercise, as that too can be a factor.  It didn't sound like a problem in
your case, but some people aren't aware that ponying babies (or other forced
exercise) can cause these sort of problems as well.  And if the yearling has
upright, straight angulation as you described, that only makes it worse.
Turn out is great, a "conditioning program" is not.

Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse, MS
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/