Re: SCOTCHGUARD

Pedfjords@AOL.COM said:

"This may sound dumb, but if the manufacturer of this popular and money
making product has enough concerns about health risks..... to stop making
it, why would we stock up, and not throw away instead ?"

Good point!  According to Business Week, June 5th,  Scotchguard contains
POSF, an organic fluoride, that repels water and oil. It can turn into a
second fluoride, PFOS, when it gets into mammalian cells

It persists in the environment for decades and PFOS shows up in trace
amounts in human blood.  Health effects showed up when heavy doses
of PFOS were administered to rats--10,000 to 100,000 times what
humans would  ever be likely to be exposed to.  3M realized this is a
chemical that would constantly be involved in environmental debate,
and decided to quit manufacture--a VERY responsible decision IMHO,
but not reason for me to worry about one can.

John and Meshack
http://www.bypass.com/~ayers (Vermont Equestrian Activities)
Secretary/Treasurer Vermont Arabian Horse Association