bitless headgear

Hi folks!  Here's the deal....I have used the following on our dear
stallion, Malik:
Little S hackamore
sidepull (2 different styles)
mechanical hackamore
vosal
Argentine snaffle
Can you believe that he prefers in no uncertain terms the snaffle???  He
will give me all kinds of trouble, even to trying a little bucking, until I
put that bit back in his mouth!!  And then he is angelic!  Is it an oral
fixation?  Will I ever be able to get him to go in something without a bit?
 I am trying to make it easier for him to eat and drink on the trail!!  The
one thing he tolerated the best was the sidepull however, I am concerned
that may not be enough control in competition though it seems to be ok at
home.  I have tried to factor in every other variable that might have given
Malik something to be peeved about besides the head gear.  I thought the
vosal would surely be the magical solution!!  Oh no!!  And when he
magically turned into my sweet stallion again immediately after putting the
bit back in, what else am I supposed to think?  So...any thoughts on this
peculiar dilemma are appreciated!! (As you can all see I am NOT at Grand
Island this weekend.  We got 2 miles down the road and the fuel pump blew
on the truck!!!  I guess it could have been much worse! But we couldn't get
another one in time to go so....)

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.