Re: RC: Re: No Sweat

In a message dated 5/27/00 8:28:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< If you're conditioning alot, you should probably be providing loose salt
 instead of a block.  A horse can easily lose 4-6 ounces of salt (or more)
 during a conditioning ride and it's takes alot of licking to replace
 that---if his tongue gets sore before he's had enough, he'll just stop while
 still deficient, and that can have an effect on sweating ability. >>

I've heard this a lot, but in a lifetime with salt blocks, I have yet to see
a sore tongue from licking salt, and I HAVE on many occasions seen
salt-hungry horses crunch the salt off with their teeth so that they could
take more in faster.  The loose salt is a good idea as it is likely faster
and easier for them to take in what they need, but I've sure never seen them
stop short on a block, either.

Heidi