Re: RC: castle rock ride/dog

In a message dated 5/26/00 2:08:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< We generally take matters into our own
 hands...a well tossed firecracker will usually make any dog decide you're
 no fun, or if you don't want to spook your horse some of the spray that
 the mail man and meter readers carry will make sure he remembers you next
 time. >>

I used my kids' Super Soaker 2000 loaded with water/ammonia on the
neighborhood bully dogs.  These were a Rottweiler and a Golden Retriever who
were basically terrorizing the neighborhood.  Couldn't ride/walk or bike past
their house with OR without dogs because they would come out and savagely
attack anything that went by.  The owners refused to believe that their sweet
dogs were really vicious currs!  Sooooo, I walked down there one day with the
big gun loaded for bear.  I nailed the Rotty right between the eyes -- let me
tell you he took off running.  When I aimed at the Golden he didn't think
twice, but took off too.  I walked down there the next day ready for action
-- all I had to do when they started barking was yell at them "NO!"  They
turned tail and ran.  A few days later the dogs attacked (but never actually
bit a child).  They "treed" her and she was stranded until well after dark
when her parents finally found her crying and pretty hysterical in the tree.
The following week our entire neighborhood had an intervention with these
inconsiderate neighbors.  We enmasse informed them that we were prepared to
file a civil suit against them if they continued to allow their dogs to run
loose in the neighborhood.  This was about a month ago and I haven't seen a
dog on their property since.  I did consult with an attorney friend of mine
and he said we could file the suit (he would do it pro bono for us) and it
would probably scare the pants off the owners.  Didn't even have to actually
file it -- just threatened -- cool, eh?  BTW, we had talked to animal control
and the local sheriff, they both said there was nothing they could do.  And
we DO have a leash law in this county.  I still don't understand that one!

Sylvia (and this is kinda endurance related because if you can't GET to your
trails, how can you condition?)