RC: 2 loose dogs, one Screaning woman, and my horse & I

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

This just happened thismorning.

I've been taking time off work  to ride(when it's not raining) because my trails are still flooded. I have to ride 1 mile down a
paved road to a net work of dirt roads.

I have to pass behind a trailer park, on a short stretch of dirt road past many places that have many penned dogs.
One place has 6  identical looking dogs.  I don't know what
kind they are.. they look like little black & white pitbulls.

As I passed, 2 were loose, came running into the road barking
and jumping up and down like they had springs for hind legs..
the owner, who acted afraid of them came running screaming
after them.  I didn't know if she was screaming at me or the
dogs.  I stopped my horse dead still. One came right up at my horse muzzel, the other right between his hind legs.. at the instant the little sucker jumped at Leo's face, I turned him & he must have instantly known these dogs were not the usual friendly dogs we pass frequently on rides.

I've had this horse 10 years & he's never kicked at anything.
Today was different.
He landed a kick at the one behind, rolling him over about
5 feet, kept right on turning & nailed the other, who'd just an instant earlier jumped at his face.

This woman is screaming the whole time.. like bloody murder.
My horse just never ceases to amaze me.  He blew his nose
and stood right there. The dogs backed off.

Anyway, I didn't get off..I felt safer where I was.
The woman finally got the dogs, checked them over, then profusely
appologized to me. (Phew).

The only thing I said, was I hoped they were OK.  (I was, after
all,  on the road, and not on her property).

This turned out OK, but could have been a disaster.

The point being... not every ones dogs are under their owners
(voice) control, and sH*t happens quickly.
Dogs are not children.
I personally like well-mannered dogs BETTER than most children ;).
Be honest about the level of training your dogs have, and if they're un-ruly, don't take them to Endurance/Ctr rides.

Just My Opinion.
Barb