Re: RC: Re: Warm Fuzzies

Hi Nan
I was the director of a treatment program for adjudicated teens---
toughest and most rewarding job I've ever had. I also shared your dream
of incorporating the horses. Two big problems--- the
biggest---INSURANCE! Kids (and us adults for that matter) will always
have an occasional fall or some horsey incident. It is not the kid who
will sue you, but some relative (not even the parents, necessarily) who
will seize the opportunity to make some money off of anyone they believe
has more than they do. There have been so many lawsuits of this type
that the insurance is almost impossible to obtain. VERY SAD.
The other problem is kid pay back. Some kids have really serious
underlying emotional problems (e.g. Columbine) who will get angry with
you for some rule, voice inflection, whatever, and will try to get back
at you. Because teen problems have escalated past the graffiti on the
buildings stage and rotten eggs on cars, I became afraid to put my
vulnerable horses at risk. We never had armed guards on duty 24 hours
and it would be oh-so-easy to slip something in the water, etc.
Our world is a totally different place these days. Programs that
flourished during the 70's now cannot operate due to risk factors.
Upward bound was a TERRIFIC program which took "punky" behavior problem
kids on survival trips. By the time the kids returned home they had
faced real fears about survival and an interdependence on nature and
occasionally other youths which gave them more respect for life and
others. Most of these programs have disappeared due to lawsuits and
resulting insurance costs.
Didn't mean to get into this subject matter so much, but anyone planning
to put together a youth program utilizing horses should be aware of some
of the considerations (and then go for it if you have the financial
ability--- we need more programs like these).
For myself, I always have a teen or two who hangs out here and bonds
with the horses and us and who becomes another one of our kids. You'd be
surprised how many kids I am "Mom" to--- it's a small step but something
we can manage.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov