Re: RC: Re: Trail cutting

In a message dated 05/25/2000 10:06:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<< I have heard plenty of complaints about rude, "newbie" riders on ridecamp
 over the years.  I am always thankful that the time I made a rude 'newbie'
 mistake.  (situation- starting at back of pack and so was a top rider, we
 hit a section where there were 4 gates close together and I assumed that
 I should hurry to next gate to open it without asking)  The top rider
 bawled me out for unsafe behaviour of running off when someone is
 dismounted opening a gate, far as I know she then forgot the incident.
 I learned something I've never forgotten, and gained even more respect
 for this rider. >>

At the briefing at our ride last weekend, I stated that trail protocol and
courtesy demanded that all other riders with the one who was opening a gate
must stay with the gate opener until he/she was re-mounted and ready to go.
I've seen it otherwise, and it is really "totally un-cool" to run off when
someone is opening and closing a gate for YOU.

Barbara