Re: Photic head shaking

Hi Angie,
I don't think this is dietary related.. at least not with Harley.  He's been at
two or three different barns where he exhibited the same symptoms (these were
in different areas of Northern California.  There are some foods (and
medications) that make horses hypersensitive to light (clover sounds like one
of them) but I believe photic headshaking is different.  At this time it is
believed that a large nerve that runs down the face of the horse (called the
trigemital nerve) is hyper-responsive to any sort of UV light stimulus.  This
causes the horse to avoid any sort of light at all - they'll be standing in the
shade in pasture - and I'd see Harley in the sun with his nose and mouth area
twitching because of the irritation he was feeling in his face.

As far as the two other horses at my barn:  one was diagnosed with photic
headshaking before Harley and I arrived in August - he's been headshaking for
most of his life (he's 16, chestnut paint), and the other horse was recently
diagnosed a few months ago (Throughbred, gray, 6 years old).  Harley's in
pasture, the paint is in a pipe pen on one side of the property, and the
Thoroughbred is housed on the other side in a barn stall.

No major drooling to speak of..

Julienne

"DDA.RFC-822=rides2far@juno.com/P=Internet/A= /C=us" on 05/24/2000 07:34:35 PM