Re: RC: equine mastitis

In a message dated 5/23/00 11:36:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Has anyone ever seen a case of equine mastitis and if so was it able to be
successfully treated? Thanks in advance for any help I receive. >>

Mastitis is not uncommon in broodmares.   How to handle it and the prognosis
depends a lot on the bacteria involved.  FIRST thing is to get it cultured,
so that you can treat it with an appropriate antibiotic.  There are a wide
variety of possible pathogens, with varying sensitivities to different drugs.
 Until culture results are back, I tend to use broad-spectrum penicillins
such as ampicillin, as they generally get a wide variety.  Sulfa-trimethoprim
is another one with a pretty broad spectrum.  However, if you DO NOT culture
first, and you are using an inappropriate antibiotic, you may not be able to
grow the bug until the mare has been back off of the antibiotic for awhile,
causing more damage and more chance of complications.  So--culture first,
even if you have a better-than-even chance of getting it with one of the
above.  (You do want to START on one of the above, and then switch if it is
not a good choice, once you get culture results back.)

Some bacteria are prone to causing abcesses--some are not.  If the udder has
specific hot spots, I will use drawing agents such as Numotizine to try to
get the abcessed area to rupture to the outside so that it can be flushed and
drained.

Small, frequent doses of oxytocin will help with milk letdown, and the
affected half should be hand-milked frequently to get infected milk, toxins,
and debris OUT of the udder.

In many cases, bovine intramammary products can be used with success.

An antiinflamatory agent is helpful--my choice is Banamine, as it also has
some action against endotoxins from bacteria.

Hope this helps--and good luck!  Most cases can be resolved fine with good
treatment.

Heidi