Re: RC: Gaited Horses

Truman,

I am planning on doing what you suggested.  I am taking a friend who is experienced in Gaited horses and my experience with endurance horses and we are going gaited endurance horse hunting.  I am in no hurry to buy one but I want to find the right one.  By the way Mr Charles horse was a Missouri Foxtrotter.  Mr Charles was a mentor of mine for years and when my daughters started riding he became one of theirs.  I don't know if you remember me or not but I managed several rides in Mississippi and Georgia (before I was diagnosed with cancer) my youngest daughter, Amanda, rode her registered Welsh pony in the Southeast region with a love for the sport.  She is going to be back this fall on one of Eddie Edwards horses and hopefully late in the fall on a young gelding she brought off of Roscoe and Glenda Weeks.  I just want a chance to ride again and that is why I am considering a gaited horse.  I love the sport and love the people better than any other equestrian sport.  If we had some distance drives in the Southeast like they are starting to do in the Northeast and Midwest I would hitch one of my Welsh ponies up and drive but I not sure if it would be the same as riding.

Thanks Truman for the help.  If you hear of any good gentle gaited horses that would do for endurance let me know.  Although I am normally a "mare" person I will not let that affect my decision as I want the right horse for me.

Nan Crites

On Mon, 22 May 2000, "Truman Prevatt, Ph.D." wrote:

> There are gaited horses that can do the sport just fine. I've ridden a walker
> for several seasons. In fact she has almost 2000 miles including a ROC finish.
> If I didn't want to breed her, she would still be going. There is a woman in FL
> who rides a Paso. She has quite a few miles on him, including several 100's.
>
> "Mr. Charles" - Charles Long may he rest in peace - from Mississippi used to
> ride his walker. He would just glide along with a two inch ash on his cigar that
> never fell off. Talk about a smooth horse.
>
> The key to finding a good gaited horse for endurance is to get a good horse -
> one that is comforted properly, has good heart and lungs, good feet, etc. that
> is otherwise gaited.
>
> They are out there in a lot of breeds. I do prefer a walker since I like a
> bigger horse. I also find the gait of a Paso to short for my size, but that is a
> personal preference.  The advice for the woman looking for a gaited horse is to
> take a friend and go look.  First consider the horse as a horse. If it doesn't
> look like it could do endurance, then it probably couldn't. They are out there.
>
> Happy looking
>
> Truman
>
> Dakoiah@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I haven't started competeing yet, but I am trying to condition my Paso Fino
> > for endurance riding.  I like my boy because he has a nice willing
> > temperment, a smooth as silk gait, and is reletively small (14.1 hands).
> >
> > If you get a Paso, go to someone who breeds them for trail/pleasure type
> > situations.  The show Paso's can be very high.  My guy is a lot like an Arab
> > in temperment.  He's still young but given a few years he'll be one heck of a
> > horse.  But then I'm prejudiced....
> >
> > Juli and
> > Alpine (what do you mean, in a few years?????)
>
> --
> Truman Prevatt
> Brooksville, FL
>
> Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
> Buck's Mystic Karma
> Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
> Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
> Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.
>
> http://www.mrsl.com

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go