Re: RC: Gaited Horses

There are gaited horses that can do the sport just fine. I've ridden a walker
for several seasons. In fact she has almost 2000 miles including a ROC finish.
If I didn't want to breed her, she would still be going. There is a woman in FL
who rides a Paso. She has quite a few miles on him, including several 100's.

"Mr. Charles" - Charles Long may he rest in peace - from Mississippi used to
ride his walker. He would just glide along with a two inch ash on his cigar that
never fell off. Talk about a smooth horse.

The key to finding a good gaited horse for endurance is to get a good horse -
one that is comforted properly, has good heart and lungs, good feet, etc. that
is otherwise gaited.

They are out there in a lot of breeds. I do prefer a walker since I like a
bigger horse. I also find the gait of a Paso to short for my size, but that is a
personal preference.  The advice for the woman looking for a gaited horse is to
take a friend and go look.  First consider the horse as a horse. If it doesn't
look like it could do endurance, then it probably couldn't. They are out there.

Happy looking

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com