Winners List

Well,
It was a tough trail because of the75 horses that started out, only 18
finished. Of the 18 finishers, 6 of them were local....not a bad percentage,
I think, for a bunch of first timers.
Here's the finishing list with a caveat. One of our stewards took a photo of
rider number 7 (Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum) walking to the vet check
wearing spurs. Soon as we get that, it's going off to the FEI with the
obligatory 50 Swiss Francs to file a report.

Place       Rider (number); Horse; Country
1            Mohamed al Maktoum (7) ;Falah; UAE
2            Hamdan bin Mhd al M...(3); Jidda; UAE
3            Abdullah Bilhab (2); Fergie; UAE
4            Abdullah Khamis (20); Moro Machado; UAE
5            Ahmed bin Mhd al M..(4); Beau Diddley; UAE
6            Hussain Abu Shabab(29); Alajdal; Jordan
7            Hazza bin Zayed al Nahyan(8); JJ Morita; UAE
8            Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan(24); Alan; Jordan
9            Luke Antony Steele(17); Auscot Park Stephanie; UAE
10           Gomaa Mahmoud Awad(71); Mayhoub; Egypt
11           Ghislane Aburagheb (28); Hilwitna;  Jordan
12            Mohamed Dardir (53); Kelly; Egypt
13            Sallem Ben Laden (36); Kholkhal; Egypt
14            Sultan bin Sulayem (12); ? ; UAE
15            Gaber Hosny Abdel Gelil (82); Salman; Egypt
16            Mohamed Taha (84); Laialy; Egypt
17            Khalifa Mohamed el Khorafy (34); Kamar el Zaman; Kuwait
18            Janie Abdul Aziz (45); Al Bekreya; Egypt

I'm afraid that I don't have the finishing times and speeds yet as I got
these results over the phone, but it is worth noting that our distinguished
guests and the (dis) organisers, Al Ahram and the Egyptian Jockey Club had
the winners announced (at least the top eight or so) before the rest of the
riders had even come in, or in some cases gone out on the last loop.  The
UAE contingent also left the club before the final finishers came in. We
learned a lot about sportsmanship on Friday. Nuff said publicly, but there
are plenty of private stories.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg