Re: RC: international end

In a message dated 5/20/00 4:15:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nessranch@brainerd.net writes:

<< in regards to international involvment, i think that is great. i do
 however,feel that a lot of local little guys are not getting the same
 representation. all the stuff you read, is about the biggys, or the
 campainers, who have $$$$,s and many horses. not to mention time. i bet
 most of us are working janes and jos who are happy to make 5 to 10 rides
 a yr. AND our dedication to the sport is just as strong and just as
 important. i'm certainly open to comments, i think dicussion is needed >>

Anne, you get no argument from me that the rank and file rider is the
backbone of this sport.  It really ticks me off when folks belittle the
accomplishments of those riders and try to make out that those folks are
"nobodies" for not striving to win World competitions.  But you know what?
The folks who flap their gums about that are not endurance riders.  I've yet
to hear the folks who ACTUALLY go out and represent us at an FEI level have
anything but praise and support for the backbone of AERC--the regular rides
and the regular riders.

Involvement on an international level has brought innovations, research, etc.
that have benefited ALL of us, right on down to the newbie who can partake of
the knowledge and be more prepared to go out and do that first 5+ hour
25-miler.  It has also brought public attention to our sport and has helped
our growth immensely.

As for the "biggies" getting attention--that is nothing new.  The top
competitors at ANY sport and at ANY level tend to do that.  Before FEI, there
was a lot more attention paid to National Champions, etc. than to the rank
and file rider--was that unfair?  Nobody said life was fair.  And as proud as
I may be of my accomplishments, I don't expect a full-page spread just
because I met my year's goals, or whatever.  When you push the limits, be it
at FEI events, AERC championships, season or career mileage barriers, or
whatever, you make the news.  That's life.  One nice thing about endurance is
the sense of self-satisfaction in completing with a healthy horse, whether
you get "attention" or not.  Little kids go through a phase in life where
"getting attention" is all-important--and some folks never outgrow it.  Those
who don't aren't fond of completing a 100-miler at three in the morning with
no one around to applaud but a sleepy timer and a ride vet--but the
self-confidence to be able to do that with no applause in the dark and to
KNOW that you have accomplished something is, to me, one of the wonderful
things about this sport.  If it was applause I wanted, I'd go back to the
show ring.

While it is offensive to me when folks belittle "regular" riders and are
elitist about FEI, it is equally offensive to try to "blame" FEI for all the
ills of our sport and equally assinine to try to disassociate ourselves from
it.  Our sport has many facets, which is one of the great things about
it--and there is no need to dull another facet to make one's own facet shine.

Heidi