RC: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

Our neighbor loves the open range law.  He has maybe 3 paddocks (small),
about a dozen critters - horses, donkeys & mules - and no fence at all
around his property.  He just turns them loose & they roam on private land
(some of our unfenced acreage and other peoples' deeded land) and on BLM
land, which is all leased out to one local rancher.  If *we*, however, turn
out our horses on the same land, he threatens us.  Says our horses get in
his garden & he'll "do whatever he has to do" to get rid of them (he has a
violent temper & nasty reputation around here).  I have faced him down, but
nevertheless we don't turn our horses out - I don't want to risk their good
attitude & trust on a jerk like him.

HOWEVER - when his critters start rubbing on our fence, or the mules try
crawling under (they do!), I get out the old BB gun.  I figure I have the
last laugh - he's an outfitter, and maybe I can make his critters gun
shy.  Someday when  I'm feeling really ornery, when we receive our annual
livestock count form from the county, I am going to list his dozen critters
as animals grazing on our land.  Then the county will bill him for personal
property tax!  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   http://www.fasterhorses.com
   Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * WebArt * Fine Art
Nutrition and alternatives for self-reliant people
Quemado, NM  USA