RC: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

Thought I would pass this on for what it's worth.  The local brand inspector
told me that they don't inspect brands on horses anymore in California.  My
concern is that that poses a risk to horses who might wander off or be
stolen.

Case in point.  Since Thanksgiving, I have had a stray horse hanging out in
the unfenced part of the pasture.  He's a good-looking young, quarter or
Morgan type (depending on what part of his anatomy you focus on) who knows
about carrots and bran mash and was in good condition when he arrived (fat
now eating the pasture my horses can't get to).  Animal control came
out--said the whole county is open-range so I can't lock him up.  Bad
part--I have to carry food to my horses and this is teaching the stray to be
very muscly trying to snag some.  I have had to start driving through the
pasture to get close to my horses to at least give me some chance of getting
there.  The stray comes at a gallop and then pushes on me or, worse, turns
around and starts backing up--I and all horses know that's sign language for
"If we can't come to terms here, I'll kick you into next week.  Not to put
too fine a point on it--this horse, though short, is built like a tank--I'm
more of a coward every moonless night.  The other day, he lifted the gate
off its hinges (I know, should have been hinged better) and liberated two of
mine and went into the pasture to harass my old guy.

I love the rural nature of this area and I'm not interested in making rash
changes--but I'm starting to think that there are pros and cons to a law
that won't let me give him to other people who can and would care for him
until we find the owner.  Furthermore, if the brand inspector won't help and
animal control is really for dogs and cats, even here.  What then?

Dyane
Sleepless in Siskiyou.