RC: Re: carbs and heart rate

In a message dated 1/14/00 6:57:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, WinOrPin writes:

<< why do you think that large meals would not increase blood flow to the gut
of a horse?   Any theoretical basis?  The anecdotal evidence, as reported by
those who see increased heart rate after high carb intake in horses, would
support the contention that horses do indeed behave like other mammals in
this regard.   More blood flows to the gut when digestive demands increase.
Since the heart is responsible for circulating this blood, its rate or its
stroke volume must increase.  Further, we know that more carb use results in
extra CO2 production, thus driving respiration.  More work done by the lungs
will also elevate HR.

Beth Glace MS, CDN
 Sports Nutritionist/Research Associate
 Lenox Hill Hospital     NY, NY >>

Beth,
    Thank you for trying to clear things up with me about the large meals vs
blood flow to the stomach area.  But when and what would you call a large
meal for a horse?  Since they should be eating roughage most of the day is
this considered 1 large meal?  Horse's should be encouraged to graze either
on a pasture or with grain or grass hays all day.  If you are talking about
supplementing, then what time frame are you indicating.  Is it 2 hrs, 4 hrs,
etc. before an endurance ride?  Is it the kind of meal or the amount of
intake?
    I teach endurance riding, feeding, conditioning for a living for the last
10 years.  I've ridden endurance for 23 years.  I never close my ears to
information.  I guess my frustration is that it is always been only slightly
related information.  I'm tired of this kind of in put.  If test are directly
related to endurance work for the equine then that would be a little more
informative for the beginner and the advanced riders.
    I have fed my horse's supplements during, before and after riding an
endurance ride.  Since we do a lot of multiday rides it is necessary to feed
large amounts of grain as the days and miles go by.  I have never experienced
any difference in their heart rates or their recoveries as these increases of
grains start.  Of course my horses have free choice of hays everyday and all
day long.  Except when I'm riding them.  Which is a lot of the time.  "Katie
Bar The Door"  1400 miles and my husbands horse "Ima Liberated Lady" has 1525
for 1999.
Tammy & Charlie Robinson
PS Region