Re: HERPES

>And horses in racing careers are the most frequently vaccinated of any of
>them.  But don't worry about vaccinating your horse . . . there's really
>nothing to these concerns you hear circulating from the health food/holistic
>wackos out there about the hidden "costs" of vaccination . . .really, none
at
>all.   Anecdotal evidence.  Means nothing.  Right Dr. Newell?<g>

	Herpes virus is fairly ubiquitous, and remains latent in an animal once it
is infected. I doubt the vaccine is of paricular value in preventing
recrudescence.
	Horses at the track are under a significant amount of stress, which is a
factor in herpes outbreak in a latently infected animal.
	The main reason I see for even bothering with EHV vaccination is to
attempt to prevent abortion in pregnant mares, and I consider management to
be of greater value in that.
	Beware of making assumptions Trish--I'm not knee-jerk in favor of
vaccination for every disease that exists. I have a remarkable tendency to
weight risks and benefits.
			--CMNewell, DVM