Slow down!!!

Joanne Witchdr139@aol.com
Would like some help from experienced Arab people!
I have a great 12 year old Arab gelding - had him for two years.
He like most arabs - likes to go go go.  The girl that had him before me sold him because she could no longer handle him. I have worked with him - gotten his confidence - he no longer bolts,etc.  He goes on a nice loose rein anywhere at a walk and only for short distances (very short!!!!) at a trot then builds builds builds.  Have tried everything - half halts, etc. but does not last.  I hate to constantly fight and feel he is not safe at a good canter out on the trail.  He is currently in a broken pelham - I hate to go heavier - but feel I may have no choice.  I noticed that quite a few of the endurance horses have
kimberwicks.  Recommendations?????  Kimberwick with a port, snaffle mouth, ?????  He has a sensitive mouth but is STUBBORN about the speed.   Open to any suggestions.

Thanks!!!!