Re: RC: Extended Trot

Dear Heather
I realize now I must have used the wrong "label." Donna said that he has
a terrific stride and asked if I had ever measured it. At a trot, free
in pasture, his front legs extend beyond his nose and yet he has
incredible propulsion from the rear end (really evident on the tape).
She said under saddle she noticed at a canter that his son started to
"quail" a term she said was used in the Olympics and that she did not
think Arabs could do (hence the reference to warmbloods). She explained
that Quailing is when all four feet are off the ground and she said that
Halyva Guy's feet were off for 1 and 2/3 body lengths. I thought their
(Hal's and get) big trot would be called extended (she didn't use that
word) because they "extended" so far out. When we showed hunter, a
normal trot was just medium speed; the extended trot was just a faster,
more ground covering trot. I can see that term has very different
meaning in dressage (and endurance) circles. But I'm still getting that
you like canter better than trot, and yet everyone who contacts me wants
to see the trot and never asks about the canter. Why is that?
Bette