Equine Post Rabies vaccination Seizure

Bar Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Although post vaccination recations don't commonly
happen, they can occur in a small percentage of the horse
population (maybe 0.05%).

I have a horse that had a post rabies vaccination seizure
(whitnessed, then treated by my Vet) which happened after
previously worsening reactions each year.

I do not advocate going without vaccinations and will continue
to vaccinate all my other animals each year... but I've stopped
on this horse.

When starts looking at the published data (most of it the
FDA/USDA has) and understand what percent protection means,
it becomes clear why some animals (like dogs) need a
rabies shot every year.

There is no such data on horses (and if anyone anywhere
has any, I'm very interested in reading it.)

The controversy about titres is because it doesn't measure
the cell-mediated response.  (Although the CDC, animal
rabies division, does have some data on Rabies Titre from the
1960's when somesome experiments on live animals were run.)

My horses blood was analysed at the Ames Iowa Lab for
animal biologics and Kansas State ( For tetnaus anti-toxin
and Rabies Titres respectively) and from what they tell
me, he has a "very unusual" immune system,  with % protection
levels for Rabies and Tetnaus 3X and 20X respectively, 2
years after his last shot for either.
I actually ended up sending 50ml of serum to the Lab in Ames
at there request from this horse (along with another horse in my
barn rabies/tetnaus vaccinated every year for 15 years.)

Again.. I do not advocate going without vaccinations, and I certainly
am not challenging any Vet's opinions.
We vaccinate horses every year for rabies (even though it's
not state law) to be safe rather than sorry.  I agree
But there is no data supporting yearly rabies shots requirments
in the horse (of yearly drop in % protection) as there
is in the Dog.

My vet was rabies vaccinated in college. ( He's 42 ).
He recently had his blood titred and it was 1:1500.
He  told me that titre meas. are valid for % protection in humans
as humans can get a syndrome called (and I'm sure
this is spelled incorrectly...Garaume-Barre) which can result
in partial limb paraylsis.

Just passin on some of the research I've done...
(research is what I do at work, so I just can't avoid
wanting data when there's a problem)
not meaning to arguing with anyone........

Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-