Re: RC: Up Hill or Down

In a message dated 1/9/00 12:06:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<< < While repeatedly running a course downhill might better prepare the
horse for some of the stressors of this kind of exercise, it remains a
dangerous practice.>>

 Actually, downhills are most easily accomplished at a trot, rather than a
run.  Dangerous??  Well, about like getting up on a Thoroughbred and busting
out of a starting gate, I suppose...>

Some similarities--the rotary gallop out of the gate also sets up the
possibility of interference and fractures. The delay in breakover of the
front feet going downhill increases the probability of interference. Also
sets up overdorsiflexion. Also sets up stabbing by the hind legs. All of
these lead to the possibility of severe injury and the eccentric work
guarantees inceased muscle damage.

  <<No one is skilled at eccentric exercise. Besides, in the past you have
been very protective of the neophyte rider--why not now?  Seems like you're
making light of their complaints while encouraging them to attempt things
that might injure their horses.  >>

 Speak for yourself!  As for neophyte riders--no, I am not making light of
anything.  They are free to get off and lead their horses down ANY decline
which challenges their mounted comfort level, and as a ride manager, I'm
always the first to tell them where they may wish to do so.  However, skill
is a factor in virtually every aspect of every sport--the more skilled one
is, the less the risk of injury and the higher the chance of winning.  And
according to you, winning is everything anyway, isn't it?

 Heidi >>

Yes, glad you're swinging in my direction at last.

ti