RE: Alsike Clover Scares

Karen Standefer hrschk@yahoo.com
When we had this scare on EN last year, I called my vet because the pasture I had my horses in was very high in Alsike Clover (and the white flowering clover as well).  You should check with your vet and/or county extension agent before banning your horses un-needlessly.  In the PNW the soil content and growing conditions are not such that the clover here is toxic.  My vet said the county extension officer told her they have problems in the midwest in particular, and possibly other places in the country.  My horses graze the clover first and have never had issue.

Anyway, before becoming alarmed, check with the authorities.

Karen