Compienge - WEC pre-ride

I just returned from Compienge and can tell all of you that are
planning on going that you are in for a real treat!!  The town is
lovely, the grounds are wonderful and the people are the best.
Some rudimentary French would be helpful as English is not
always spoken, even at the ride.  The ride itself was deciptively
difficult as seen by the completion rate.  Interestingly, most of the
pulls were for lameness, although there were horses treated for
metabolics.  One of the factors on the ride was the weather, the
first hot stuff they had seen all Spring.  The French put in lots of
short steep hills and turns to make the course more technical.  I
am sure that there will be revisions before the WEC.  The footing
was sandy loam, but some rocks and lots of pavement crossings.
If wet, the footing could get deep.  The second and fourth hold
overlooked a rebuilt medieval castle, wow.  The musee de cheval in
Chantilly is a must, incredible stable, educational exhibits,
outstanding horses, great show, could spend all day there.
Travelling with the horses was quite an experience in itself and to
be thankful that they were all frequent flyers and not youngster.
Jedi ate through the take-off and landing!  Worst part is the loading
and unloading from the plane as the container goes in all directions
and you never know which.  I rode off of the plane in Paris and was
knocked off my water bucket seat twice!
Best of luck to all of you that are working towards Compienge!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall