Re: RC: Bits/gimmicks/Tracey & Louise Burton's post

Hi, Barb

>Tracey says:
>:A horse who is
>:sensitive to you and your aides WILL listen to you in a new situation,
>:because you have taken the time to build up enough trust in him that he
will
>:look to you, not to get away.  Just a theory, but I have tested it and it
>:worked - I was once the only rider in a group with any control when the
>:horses spooked - and I was the only one in a snaffle.
>
>While this statement is true for some horses, it is not true for all.
>I've been riding the only horse than didn't spook in some situations
>and riding the only horse that DID spook in others.

Hmm, lack of communication on my part here.  No gadget in the world or
relationship in the world will stop a horse from spooking (prey animals and
all that) but your relationship with your horse will dictate whether he will
piss off with you when he spooks and whether you can stop him when he does.
I have seen horses piss off with their riders in draw reins / pelhams /
gags, etc and actually cut their mouths to ribbons because their fear of
what spooked them (usually a plastic bag or the yard dog!) is greater than
their trust in their rider.  This is the point I was making, not that trust
between horse and rider will prevent a spook, but that it will prevent
catastrophe AFTER the spook.

>Not all horses have the mind to bond with total trust with humans, no
matter how much you work with them.

Respectfully disagree - if you are prepared to put in the time (and it can
take years) then they can.

"This does not mean they are lesser horses than the ones that do."

There are no greater or lesser horses - just greater or lesser people.
(stir, stir!!)

A horses head gear is a form of communication. I think Louise Burton's post
was taken out of context
as she was trying to make the point, that to get some horses *attention* in
some panic situations.. the communication has to be louder.

Communication with horses is seat, legs, voice and only finally a soft,
asking hand.  Always a whisper, never a shout.

Different people have different skill levels with horses,  and it's the
person who should be asking themselves if they know how to use the dag thing
they want to put on their horse.

No.  The question must be : if I use this on my horse, why, what for, and
what will I be sacrificing - usually valuable schooling time.

However, as I said before, my approach to schooling is based on my dressage
/ SJ / eventing background and interest.  Not endurance.  Perhaps your
requirements are different.