Re: Re: bits

Hi, Teresa.

I'm not sure if I understand your post.

"I'll use my german martingale (when needed) which is not currenly the case
on any of my horses in a hearbeat before I'll tie their jaw shut.  You might
consider that although cavessons are the "norm" in your world they are
interfering with some important communication."

Please explain.  The cavesson does not tie the jaw closed.  In fact, it
achieves nothing other than looking pretty!  A properly-fitted cavesson lies
perpendicular to the nose and is fitted either one finger (German method) or
two finger (English) widths below the cheekbone, you should be able to fit
four fingers between the noseband and the nose when it is fitted.

"I imagine that you might have caught on to the D-ring poking your horse in
his palate a lot quicker if he could have opened his mouth when jabbed.
None of my horses goes around gaping their mouths in response to the bit.
If one did I would do some dental investigation to try and find the cause -
not just tie their jaw shut to prevent it."

I quite agree, which is why on Toc (who does open his mouth) I use a loose
ring snaffle, and on PG (who doesn't) I use an egg-but.  Both have their
teeth checked 2 x per year and I do NOT use a flash noseband or drop
noseband or grackle to tie their jaws shut.

"A sliding martingale can have plenty of problems - rings bouncing on reins
irritating a sensisive mouth.  Plus they totally interfere with the direct
line between wrists and mouth that is proper. (Ask any dressage person -
they can tell you horses ridden a lot in a running  martingale will tend to
overmuscle the bottom of their neck -not so good.) "

Not true.  An incorrectly fitted martingale does achieve all of the above.
A correctly fitted martingale does not.  Especially if you use it only for
XC and never for schooling.

"Also - A french snaffe will put more pressure on the horses bars than a
2-piece snaffle.  You may need this, and they also solve the problem of the
snaffle V'ing into the horses palate, but NOPE they are NOT the mildest
snaffle there is.  "

Sorry, I may of course be wrong, but I have always listened to the advice of
our Classical Masters - Nuno Oliviera (Spanish riding school), Reiner Klimke
(2 x Olympic dressage champion), Jessica Jahiel (dressage "aunty" of note),
Sylvia Loch (author of "The Classical Seat").   If the French is not the
mildest snaffle around - which is also legal for dressage - then what is?

Tracey