Re: Re: Re: Grass before a ride

I was in a position to do a bit of a one horse experiment last weekend at
St. Croix Scramble.  Ranger finished the 50 rather tired on an 87 degree
afternoon.  After trotting for completion I put a heart rate monitor on him
and watched as he rested and ate hay for 30 minutes before his final check.

He was basically eating most of the time, but I could see his heart rate
drop 4 or 5 beats whenever he got done chewing and was distracted from
taking another bite for a few seconds.  This basically confirms conventional
wisdom.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016