Re: RC: Biltmore Post Race Analysis OMNI

In a message dated 05/09/2000 3:35:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
roger@vmaxept.com writes:

<<
 Post status. I was checking on him all day. He still likes me 0- comes
 to me when called. Came in a running tonight, nickered and flanging his
 head around.. ate about 6 treat cookies he would NOT eat at the ride.
 Full of grain and electrolytes and honey etc.. go figure..
 Hope for some POSITIVE feedback.
 Get to see our name on the DNF list next month in EN  - with a big M
 That's about it, if  I think of more issues point I will  post. Ask
 questions for more info if you need it , constructive comments only --
 please.
 Thanks hope this gets some better technical conversation going and less
 bashing.
 Roger

Hey Roger,

This is just an observation and no I was not at the Biltmore Ride but Joan
was (and won BC in the 50 and I'm very proud of her and Meesha) but at the
Leatherwood Ride we had quite a few M pulls also.  I'm thinking the weight of
the rider and the combination of the terrain(hills) and hot humid weather has
a lot to do with this problem.  Most M pulls at Leatherwood were HW riders or
big muscled horse (we had two Traks and one Hanav Cross that got into trouble
in addition.),  The rides you've done this year are basically what I call
flat land rides.  And the heat at these rides was not like Biltmore.  I know
you condition in the Mountains as we do.  One thing that we started over a
year ago when we hired Mark Williams (our trainer) is weight conditioning.
Basically Mark(160lbs) will ride Meesha 50% of the time and Myself (195lbs)
will ride her maybe 5% and Joan(108lbs) will ride 45% of the time. We all
three have started to tail a lot also. Since we started doing this Meesha has
been a different horse.  Two BCs and 5 top 5 finishes this year.  We have
also utilized some of Tom Ivers's training regiments.  You know Tom's work
better than enyone probably.  John (Boz Saddlery) had the right idea with his
hollow tree which could be filled with sand for weight training but it's a
pain in the neck to implement.  Still I love his saddles.  I would like to
hear what some of the ridecamp members think about the rider weight issue.  I
very seldom see a featherweight or lightweight rider get into the M trouble
unless of course they had a horse that was not conditioned to ride.  I have
seen a lot of heavyweight riders have this problems on conditioned race ready
horses.  When I massage horses with heavyweight riders there is a huge
difference in soreness than those with the lighter riders.  And when a horse
or a person for that matter is hurting in one area they will try to
compensate for it in another area and that is where the trouble begins.  I
asked Joan about the Biltmore water.  She did not give any to Meesha.  We
always try to bring our own water(well) from home.  And yes we have had a
problem with Meesha eating without a buddy.  This is the first ride she got
it all together (eating, calm, drinking and focused).  Again this is just a
basic observation and maybe it does play a small role in the big M.. If we
knew what caused it we'd fix it right?  You sound like you have all the
technical items covered.  Take care and good luck Rog.

Phil Rash