Biltmore - 1st 100

Mary Kornwolf vgea@erols.com
Hi to everyone from Mary and Shiloh in Virginia! I'd like to share experiences from our first 1-day 100 last weekend at  Biltmore in hopes it will inspire others who try this distance for the first time. This is one of the most beautful and well-
managed rides I've ever seen, but certainly lives up to its reputation as a tough ride! Out of 10 first-timers, only
3 successfully completed the 100, two of them me and my friend Sheri Devouassoux. Her husband Hans, who crewed for us,  certainly got a workout -- no sooner did one of us leave out
on a loop than the other would come in -- so he had literally
no down time! Here's some highlights:
1. Pre-Ride Protocol: On the way down, we stopped every 2-3 hours to our let the horses pee, eat grass and drink, so
after traveling through the night (much cooler), we arrived at camp on Friday 10 a.m. with horses in great shape. They'd
both done several 50s over the past year, so were very fit and used to the ride routine. Shiloh has completed two 2-day
100s as well as a 75 back in Feb, and I'd recommend rides of this distance as a "bridge" to attempting a 1-day 100.
Beginning 3 days before the ride, both we pre-loaded horses and ourselves with more electrolytes than usual, knowing
it would be hot and humid. We took a very short, slow 3 mile ride late Fri afternoon just to check tack and loosen up
horses before being corraled for the night - I'm glad we didn't do any more; might have stressed/dehydrated them.
2. The Miracle of Massage: Shiloh has gotten tight in his hind end at several rides. Sheri has opened my eyes to use
of massage to address this issue and also relax horse. After a very fast first loop (19.8 miles in less than 2 hours), I trotted out for a very observant vet and was told Shiloh was grade one in his upper right hind leg. Back at the crewing area, a light bulb went off in my head as I looked the fresh kick mark on his belly he'd gotten before leaving home (he's pasture boarded with about 15 other horses) and realized the haunch area must have also gotten whacked. Thank God Sheri came in from the first loop about then, and while Hans vetted Ticket in, she massaged (stroked downwards using fingertips) and almost immediately the area began loosening up - no problems after that. Phew!
3. On Walking into each VC and Untacking: I have a hard time holding Shiloh back at the start of rides, so we initially
hung with the front-runners, finishing the first 19.8 mile loop in less than two hours. I DON'T ADVISE THIS! We backed way off after that. Hans said statistically, 60% or so of horses in the top 10 after the first loop of this ride get pulled. My attempt to make up for our blistering early pace was dismounting, loosing the girth and walking in the last couple hundred
yards of the first loop. I did this at the end of every loop to help Shiloh's pulse drop - as a 1/2 QH he runs about 20
points higher than full Arabs... and except for VC 4 in the hottest part of the day, was at 60 or lower by the time
I reached the crewing area. Without exception, we took off the saddle at every VC. Many top horses don't seem to
need  this, but it seemed to help dissipate as much heat as possible in his body and encouraged "relax and eat" mode.
4. If the Horse is Walking, So Should You: I caught up to Jerry Fruth midway through the 2nd loop at the start of a long hill
climb and very happily followed suit when he dismounted and walked his horse up that hill. Instead of being in the 140s or 150s, Shiloh's pulse dropped below 120 and I was also able to hand feed him fresh alfalfa from home and grass pulled from along the roadside, something I highly recommend on long loops. (Getting off and walking during each loop helped settle my stomach as well as loosen up my kneecaps.) I really enjoyed talking to Jerry, a veteran of this sport, and watching his beautful stallion, JaBask Knight.  Sadly, the heat got to Jerry and he was unable to continue after the 3rd loop - so I ended up riding the 4th loop all alone, except for passing cheery 50 milers who voiced encouragement.
5. Electrolytes and Taking A Whizz: Sheri and I had watched a video Hans brought back from the 2000 AERC convention that documented the amazing amount horses sweat during a ride (gallons and gallons!), and how excessive water loss early in the ride is linked to overall performance. I use ABC Ride-Rite, which has a high potassium to sodium ratio, and Lyte-Now, usually giving one dose of that plus one dose of regular electrolytes for each loop, plus a bit for myself (I think it helps combat nausea - more on that later). As long as you don't give more than 2 doses at a time, I don't think you can overdo electrolytes on a demanding ride like this -- but make sure to use a brand developed specifically for endurance. I was used to Shiloh peeing at every vet check - Sheri has taught us the racetrack trick of whistling to train a horse to pee on cue. Shiloh whizzed at the 1st and 2nd VCs and continued to drink well throughout the day but never again whizzed until the end of the ride, when he "peed like a racehorse" - this concerned me until I learned many other horses were like this as well - as good indicator of how much fluid was being lost.
6. Nausea 101: I heard that many folks, including dear sweet Nina Gibson, got very barfy during this ride. I've been
following Debi Gordon's yogurt-eating advice for the past several rides, and it's really worked for me. I'm famous for
my healthy appetite and you'd be flabbergasted at the amount
and variety of foods I consumed...I think this really helped
me have the energy and mental faculties to complete the ride.
My favorites (besides Yoplait, that is) include beef jerky,
Bugles and Doritos, oranges, Harvest-type Powerbars, sour
gummy bears and black licorice. Sheri provided ready-made
mac and cheese and tuna-fish, which were also yummy. Hans
gave me part of his hamburger during the last VC.
7. Night Riding Sucks: As a first-timer, I knew I'd be out
after dark and was dreading it. I must confess I hustled
Shiloh a bit towards the end to hurry up and finish -
luckily, as the temperature began dropping, he began perking
up - must have sensed the end was near.  I also sang nonsense songs to him, which he seems to enjoy, judging by his ears. Leaving the last VC around 8:20 p.m., I made sure to catch up
to some other riders so I wouldn't be alone in the scary darkness that was fast descending. As total darkness hit, I
was thrilled to get behind two riders with glow sticks tied
on their shoelaces - followed this beacon for a few miles
and then was amazed by Shiloh's night vision as he took the
lead at a brisk trot and I blindly allowed him free rein. I
had a premonition I'd be hit by some unseen object, and sure enough, in the woods less than 1/4 mile from the finish, I was soundly wapped across the upper lip and ended the ride cursing a blue streak. I guess the only way to avoid this is to walk. Shiloh stood like a statue during the completion, and nice vet, Duane Barnett, said he was in good shape but had "done all he could do".  I had just enough energy to rub Shiloh's tired
legs and muscles with a wonderful smelling body wash (rubbing alcohol works great on lower legs, but smells awful) and left him leg wrapped and blanketed while I returned to the crewing area to wait for Sheri. Ticket came in around midnight looked much friskier for having gone a slower, steadier pace.
The final word: After awards the next morning, while Sheri caught up on sleep, I hand grazed both horses on the wonderful Bilmore grass and took them to the sandy arena for a much-appreciated roll. We a took frequent rest breaks on the way
home and the horses EDPP'd (ate, drank, peed and pooped) like fiends - amazingly fast recovery. They also seemed very
proud of themselves. I wish I bounced back as well! Every time
I exited the truck, I walked as if I had advanced arthritis in every joint. Two days later, my calves are still tight. Much slower recovery for me than after a 50! Best wishes to all of you out there contemplating your first 100...there's no doubt that luck plays a part in any ride, but determination can overcome many types of bad luck. I totally respect riders like Roger Rittenhouse and Julie Bullock, who had the wisdom and concern for their horses to withdraw when bad luck overcame good. Whether you complete or not, each ride is a true test
of horsemanship and a chance to even learn more about this physically and mentally challenging sport. Best wishes! Mary K