Re: RC: The Making of Endurance Horse2

>I will make one 'ego' statement- in 20 years of ECTRA AERC and >over
>7000>miles and 6 horses, I have never placed a horse in serious
metabolic>distress. This was my first time..

Roger,
THIS is how to write up a crash.  Thank you.  I'll save it and study it,
even though you and I discussed it after the ride.  You gave every tad of
info you have for the rest of us to learn from, and didn't hold anything
back... I would think that compared to this having "Metabolic" next to
your name in the magazine isn't exactly a major disclosure.

Now, about blaming yourself.  If I make it 20 years, I'll be the happiest
person on earth.  I've been 12 years now, but I certainly know it could
happen to me any time.  I can sit here right now and tell ya several
reasons something should have gone wrong with Kaboot, and he had one of
his best races ever.  He trembled on the leg he was resting when I
saddled him...he's never done that before.  I forgot my electrolytes at
the last vet check...  If he'd crashed, I could have said, "well, we've
not trained quite as hard as usual"  If he'd gotten bruised I could have
said, "I was stupid and wasn't able to get shoes until yesterday, can you
believe I was dumb enough to try THIS race on new shoes?"  Hind sight is
20/20.  You quit with a good CRI.  You followed you instincts.  As they
say, "feces occurs".  I can't imagine that I'd have done anything
different.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.